Today, I am excited to introduce you to the first extension for Schema plugin, the Schema Review Extension, it was approved by wordpress.org team a couple of days ago and I’ve uploaded the files earlier today.
I’ve got requests from several users for implementing schema.org Review markup in the Schema plugin. I can’t turn this down since it’s already in my plans for the future of the plugin. However, this turned to be not easy as it sounds, so it has to be done as an extension for the plugin.
I had to put a lot of effort in the core Schema plugin version 1.6 and earlier releases to make developing such functionality possible.
I figured out, this should be introduced as an extension, it shouldn’t be part of the core plugin for these reasons:
- It will require a lot of coding, and extra time for support.
- It’s a specific schema.org property that should’t be part of every site.
- Not everyone need to publish reviews.
I decided to release a light version of the Schema Review extension at wp.org so everyone can try it, and make use of it.
Is this extension for you?
Mainly, the light Schema Review extension is developed to serve Author and Editors, so it only support Editorial reviews. There is no support for user reviews or aggregate reviews in this light free release.
So, if you are an Author or Editor, and you do actually review Things on your site, you may put this extension in good use.
There will be a new pro extension with several new features, this shall cover different types of Review markup supported by Google based on the user’s choice, without having to annoy those who are using the core Schema plugin and don’t need such functionality. And, keep maintaining and supporting the extension for those who use it on their sites.
Schema Review Extension Key Features
- Easy to use, minimal settings.
- Minimal output via shortcode, light-weight no CSS or Scripts loaded in front-end.
- Enable Schema Review for Editor or Author.
- Provide a valid markup, test it in Google Structured Data Testing Tool.
- Extend Schema output in JSON-LD format, the most recommended by Google.
- If your site is qualified, Google may display Rich Snippets including rating stars in search results.
Download Schema Review Extension
You can download Schema Review Extension from wp.org plugin directory, yes… it’s a free plugin and you can start using it right now.
Schema Review extension requires the core Schema plugin to be installed and activated on your WordPress website.
Thank you so much. I was looking for this kind of plugin. It is excellent!
Glad to hear that, feel free to give it the first rating over at wp.org 😉
Hi Hesham, why is the author @type showing as “Thing” and not “Person”? Is it possible the add the property “reviewBody”?
You are right, I have no idea how I missed that! It’s fixed now, an update is on the way!